Friday, November 6, 2009

Any Place I hang My hat...

When I learned the news of Jürgen's show closing my immediate reaction, aside from the shock, was of course to ask if he was ok (I am such a doting wife), however the main question that quickly sprang to my mind was "how will we ever afford to pay our rent."  When we decided on a place to live in NYC (technically in Queens...details, details) we naturally searched for places within a certain price range which could easily be met each month with Jürgen's projected salary.  Well...you know what happened next.

I have always been pretty particular about where I live, and I have learned the hard way if I don't like the space I can come home to, I generally don't thrive outside of my abode.  I was so excited about our little Sunnyside dwelling and was devastated at the thought of having to move again.  I knew we were going to have to make some sacrifices, now that a cog had been thrown in the wheel, but it was hard for me to swallow and let go.

Now would be a good time to give you a bit of a visual, so you can perhaps see where I am coming from!

                                                        



                 Views of our street, which is tree lined and quiet, and the front of our building.


                                    The entryway (you take the stairs to the right to get to us!)



                Standing at the front door, looking down the hallway into the kitchen (and Stanley!)








Our living room:  to the right of the front door, and then standing in the corner facing the front (obviously)


                                                        Stanley is ready for his close up


Our lovely kitchen.  Whats that GORGEOUS silver contraption? Well that's an IN UNIT washer and dryer! (do you see now why I wouldn't want to move!)






Our bedroom (Toaster is in the background enjoying the windowsill), and one of our closets.  The bedroom doesn't look like much here but it is actually very spacious and light filled.


                                                           And finally, the bathroom.

As you can see it's a nice place! It's newly renovated and very well kept (which will hopefully cut down on the appearance of furry and/or multi-legged creatures).  We debated back and forth for quite awhile about what to do, but after much discussion we have decided to stay put...for now anyway.  Some numbers have been crunched and we have figured out what we need to bring in each month in order to afford it, while not being forced to subsist on Ramen and water. Only time will tell how challenging this will be, and what's the sense in having a NYC adventure without a few challenges along the way!  It's a fight worth fighting we think, and we won't wave a white flag that easily.  If we realize we have to move, then at least we know we tried.

I never wear hats, but if I did, I would happily hang it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment