Thursday, March 10, 2011

Me Time

I read somewhere, probably in Real Simple or something, that the happiest people are those who make a point to carve out time for themselves. Personal time. "Me time."

I have never been good at this. For the majority of my life I have lit the candle at both ends and set about the day at a frantic whirlwind pace always feeling as though I was catching up to myself. When I was a junior is high school I took the SAT's, an AP US History Exam, planned my high school prom, ran a fundraiser for this organization,  and began rehearsals for a play all in one week. What?!? Why did I think that pace was maintainable and why did I think it would continually make me happy?

"I function better when I am busy". "I am more focused when I have a lot going on". These were the sorts of excuses I used to justify my inability to say no. Or my inability to spend time alone.

It's taken me the better part of 28 years but for the first time in my life I am realizing just how much I enjoy my "me" time. I have spent many a weekend night with a glass of drinking wine while I organize the kitchen cabinets. I spent a good portion of a recent Saturday rearranging my storage unit and I couldn't be happier. I cook, I take long showers, I make vision boards, I journal, whatever it may be...it's my time.

Now that I have experienced the joy and freedom that comes from having time to oneself I am kind of selfish with it. Of course I still love to be social and enjoy time with my wonderful friends, but I am more aware of when I begin to feel stretched too thin and I make a point to block out an evening for just me.  

The realization of this need makes me feel wise but also incredibly boring at the same time. Is it wrong to say I love to declutter my house on a Friday night? Is this progress or am I in a slump?

Wait...don't answer that. I have a box of photos that need to be put in chronological order and labeled accordingly.

What do you do with your free time? Do you like having me time or do you go crazy? Do you feel you give yourself enough "me" time or do you need to make a point to create more for yourself each week?

No comments:

Post a Comment